Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Never Be the Same

Wednesday 23.10 pm

It appears the cravings have gone. Literally just disappeared, almost over night. When I say 'gone', what I mean is they've dissipated to an irregular crave. I find myself thinking about smoking less and less and this can't be bad.

I got 4 hours sleep last night. I was asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow. I woke up at 4am and didn't get back to sleep. I got an extra 2 hours sleep this morning - woke up saturated in sweat with my fingers looking like I'd just spent a week in a swimming pool.

I felt human enough to walk down to the doctor's today and drop off a repeat prescription and make (yet another) appointment for next week. I'm not completely sure why, but as I said the other day, I feel like a season ticket holder, so I probably did it through habit. The point was, I walked back, up a hill, in the warm sunshine and despite it only being 5 days, I felt better - considerably better.

My mate Phil (who stopped smoking about 12 hours before I did) said he was surprised at how much better he felt after cycling across the Racecourse on Tuesday night; surprised at how quick it seemed to have improved. One of the reasons I insisted I needed to stop was how out of breath I was getting doing simple things like walking. I was most impressed at how little I was out of breath and that it can only get better. The last time I tried to stop smoking, seriously, was when I was still at the YMCA - over 5 years ago - and at the time I rather stupidly suggested that I would enter a London Marathon within 2 years of stopping. I'm not about to make any grandiose forecasts this time, but I might consider getting my bike out again before I turn 50!

23.22 pm

The wife has me taking Kalms - this herbal sleeping potion. I was quite surprised to see that they contain something called vervain, which, according to the TV series The Vampire Diaries is poisonous to vampires. They also contain wild lettuce extract... there's wild lettuces out there? Freaky!

I took them last night, so they either work or they trick you into thinking they work. The only reason I'm up now is I'm waiting for them to take effect. You have to give them an hour. What's an hour after 31 years of smoking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Culture - A Mixed Bag

The spoilers are here, there and occasionally everywhere... Holey Underpants* If at first you don't enjoy, try, try again. We went into ...